Ivory Coast strongman Gbagbo moved to secret location: UN
United Nations: Captured Ivory Coast
strongman Laurent Gbagbo has been moved to a secret location
outside of the main city, Abidjan, but will remain under UN
guard, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday.
The United Nations would not say where Gbagbo has been
taken nor why.
UN peacekeepers had "helped to move him to another
place in Cote d`Ivoire where he is secure," deputy UN
spokesman Farhan Haq told a press briefing, using Ivory
Coast`s French name.
Haq said the new place was outside of Abidjan but
refused to give any other details on where Gbagbo now is.
The UN mission "is working with the Cote d`Ivoire
authorities to ensure that he is safe" and UN forces would
remain with Gbagbo "to ensure his safety," Haq added.
Gbagbo surrendered to forces loyal to
internationally-recognized president Alassane Ouattara on
Monday, ending a five month conflict in which hundreds died
after Gbagbo refused to concede defeat to Ouattara in a
Gbagbo was at first held at the Golf Hotel in Abidjan
which is the headquarters of the Ouattara administration.
Ouattara has said his rival will be put on trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This is how online companies may be cheating you on discounts!
- Bihar Board Intermediate Result: BSEB 12th Result 2016 to be declared shortly
- Sadhguru to lead yoga session at UN on 2nd International Yoga Day
- Priyanka Chopra shares throwback pic of her nani on her 94th birthday! – View pic
- US military restricts troops after murder in Okinawa