Jail for bingeing mother who left baby alone for a week
London: A young British mother has been sentenced to 15 months of prison by a local court after she left her toddler home alone for a week while she went out drinking.
When police broke into the house after being called by neighbours who heard the child`s screams, the 15-month-old baby girl was found `starving` in her cot, the Daily Mail reported.
Police found the house in Brecon town of Mid Wales in UK was dark and cold, with dirty clothes, empty wine bottles, beer cans and dirty nappies strewn over the floors.
The child had been on her own for more than 24 hours. She was examined by a doctor and was found to have severe nappy rash, which was bleeding.
The 20-year-old woman kept the toddler in a cot on her own in a cold and dark house and would `pop back` once a day to feed her with breakfast cereal.
She would then return to a friend`s home to drink between last Christmas and New Year.
The single mother wept yesterday as she was jailed for 15 months on charges of neglect.
"The house was in a state of disarray with rubbish, dirty clothes, empty wine bottles, beer cans and dirty nappies strewn over the floors," Prosecutor Michael Hammett said.
"One of the officers went into the bedroom and found the little girl subdued in her crib. There was no heating on in the house and she was partly covered by a blanket," Hammett was quoted as saying by the paper.
The mother`s actions were described as causing "pain and suffering and misery for the baby".
The woman, who earlier this year pleaded guilty to neglect between Boxing Day and January 2, later told police she had been back to the house on four occasions to feed her baby but then left her alone again.
"You may have gone back to the house on occasions but the fact is you neglected her for a very long time," jailing her at Merthyr Crown Court, Judge John Curran told the mother.
"Your daughter was left in the dark and cold, she was hungry and thirsty and had not been changed for days," Curran added.
It is understood that the child is now being cared for by her paternal grandparents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray