Jail term urged for Sarkozy attacker
Paris: Prosecutors on Friday sought three
months in jail for a 32-year-old man who dragged French
President Nicolas Sarkozy off his feet as he greeted the
public on a walkabout.
Hermann Fuster, 32, was in court in the southwestern
town of Agen a day after he yanked Sarkozy by his jacket in a
surprise breach of presidential security which left the
State prosecutor Pascal Prache asked judges for a
nine-month jail term, six months suspended, and community
service for Fuster, a caretaker and receptionist at a local
"You breached a taboo by attacking the president of
the republic," Prache told Fuster in a packed courtroom.
"Democracy is based on respect and the absence of
physical violence. It is a democratic principal that you
After grabbing Sarkozy yesterday, Fuster was
immediately wrestled to the ground by bodyguards and taken
He appeared in the dock today dressed in black with
gothic skull designs on his T-shirt.
Fuster is accused of "violence against a person
holding public authority," a charge punishable by up to three
years in jail and a fine of 45,000 euros (USD 65,000). Sarkozy
himself did not press charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!