Jailed ex-Israeli Prez freed briefly for son`s wedding
Jerusalem: Former Israeli president Moshe Katsav, serving a seven-year prison term for a rape conviction, was freed on Sunday for a few hours to attend his son`s wedding.
Katsav, 66, left Ma`asiyahu Prison in Ramle for the first time since beginning his sentence in December, in order to attend the wedding of his son Noam.
The former president is currently serving a seven-year prison sentence after being unanimously convicted in the Tel Aviv District Court in 2010 of two counts of rape, two counts of sexual harassment, an indecent act using force and obstruction of justice.
Under the terms of his release, Katsav was not allowed to visit his home in Kiryat Malachi, and was barred from giving interviews to the press. He was free to mingle with the wedding guests, the Jerusalem Post reported.
The former president must return to the prison by midnight today.
The Supreme Court ruled last week that Katsav would not be allowed a further appeal hearing in his rape trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Dredging of Brahmaputra soon to stop floods, erosion: Sonowal
- You may be ignoring these signs of a stroke! - Watch video
- Delhi schoolboy run over by van that dropped him home
- Will pursue agenda of political resolution, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes over separate tribal state, 20 injured