Jailed ex-Israeli Prez freed briefly for son`s wedding
Jerusalem: Former Israeli president Moshe Katsav, serving a seven-year prison term for a rape conviction, was freed on Sunday for a few hours to attend his son`s wedding.
Katsav, 66, left Ma`asiyahu Prison in Ramle for the first time since beginning his sentence in December, in order to attend the wedding of his son Noam.
The former president is currently serving a seven-year prison sentence after being unanimously convicted in the Tel Aviv District Court in 2010 of two counts of rape, two counts of sexual harassment, an indecent act using force and obstruction of justice.
Under the terms of his release, Katsav was not allowed to visit his home in Kiryat Malachi, and was barred from giving interviews to the press. He was free to mingle with the wedding guests, the Jerusalem Post reported.
The former president must return to the prison by midnight today.
The Supreme Court ruled last week that Katsav would not be allowed a further appeal hearing in his rape trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!