Jailed Russian oil tycoon calls off hunger strike
Moscow: Jailed Russian oil tycoon Mikhail
Khodorkovsky on Wednesday called off a hunger strike over his
detention after officials confirmed President Dmitry Medvedev
had been informed of his complaint.
"My appeal has achieved its purpose. I am stopping the
hunger strike," Khodorkovsky said in a statement released by
his supporters a day after he began the hunger strike.
The former chief of Russian oil giant Yukos, once
Russia`s richest man, yesterday declared the hunger strike,
saying he has been kept in jail unlawfully.
He said a court decision to keep him in jail during his
second trial violated recent amendments pushed through by
Medvedev for executives accused of financial crimes not to be
kept in detention before and during trials.
Medvedev`s spokeswoman Natalia Timakova told reporters
late yesterday the president was aware of Khodorkovsky`s
hunger strike declaration.
"I am pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of the civil
society in supporting my cause, and the transparency of the
information services of the president and the chairman of the
Supreme Court," Khodorkovsky said.
"Now, when it has been officially announced that
President Medvedev has been informed about the issue, I no
longer consider it necessary to proceed with discussing it
within the government structures."
The two-day hunger strike had been largely symbolic as
Khodorkovsky is already serving an eight-year prison sentence
on fraud and tax evasion charges and could not have been
In the new trial, Khodorkovsky stands accused of stealing
millions of tonnes of oil and laundering money in fresh
charges that could see him jailed for 22 more years.
Khodorkovsky, 46, says the new charges are a rehash of
the original case and argues he is being prosecuted again
because the corrupt officials who have seized control of Yukos
fear seeing him go free.
Russian authorities insist Khodorkovsky committed massive
financial crimes during the controversial privatisations of
the 1990s in which he and other businessmen acquired immense
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi