Jamaica drug lord Coke to face extradition hearing
Kingston: A Jamaican court will consider
on Thursday whether to extradite alleged drug lord Christopher
`Dudus` Coke, who sparked a mini-war while trying to elude
police capture last month, to the United States.
Coke, who is accused of leading the notorious "Shower
Posse" gang, is reportedly considering waiving his rights to
challenge the transfer and could be in US custody by the
Pastor Al Miller, director of the National Transformation
Program within the Office of the Prime Minister, said Coke
wanted to turn himself in at the US embassy and waive his
rights before the Jamaican court.
Yesterday, US officials met with members of Jamaica`s
Police High Command and Paula Llewellyn, director of public
prosecutions, but no details of their discussions were
"We look forward to working closely with the Jamaican
authorities to bring Mr Coke to justice to face charges
pending against him in the United States," Rebecca Park, a
spokeswoman for the US embassy, said today.
Prime Minister Bruce Golding ordered Coke`s arrest on May
24 after months of hesitation following a US indictment on
charges that the "Shower Posse" is supplying much of the
cocaine on the streets of eastern US cities.
Police and troops raided Coke`s stronghold of Tivoli
Gardens last month, killing 73 civilians in the ramshackle
neighbourhood where many viewed him as a Robin Hood figure
providing small-time jobs and security.
He was finally picked up Tuesday by police who saw past a
disguise that reportedly included shaving his beard and
donning a wig.
If extradited and convicted, Coke faces life in a US
prison and millions of dollars in fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city