James Murdoch refuses to rule out closure of `The Sun`
London: James Murdoch has refused to rule out the possibility of closing down Britain’s best selling tabloid, The Sun, if the phone hacking scandal spreads to it.
The News International chairman made the comment as he faced a day of questioning from British MPs over previous evidence that he gave to Parliament about the hacking scandal. At one point he was compared to a mafia boss by an MP, The Telegraph reports.
Murdoch denied misleading the committee when he told them in July this year that he was unaware of the now infamous ‘for Neville’ email, which implicated other reporters at the News of the World in hacking.
However, he admitted to have had been told about an email that made it clear the company should settle a case with Gordon Taylor, the head of the Professional Footballers’ Association.
Murdoch said he was not told that the email was title ‘For Neville’ or that the email contained evidence that other journalists at the paper were involved in hacking.
On being asked about the conduct of other newspapers in the News International stable, Murdoch refused to rule out closing The Sun.
Steve Rotheram MP claimed that The Sun is mentioned in the notes of Glenn Mulcaire, the private detective jailed for phone hacking in 2007.
The MP asked Murdoch: “If this particular publication is implicated in phone hacking and it is revealed that The Sun does appear in the Mulcaire file, will you close that paper like you did with the News of the World.”
Murdoch said he did not want to pre judge the outcome of any investigation before adding: “I do not think we can rule or I should not rule any corporate reaction to behaviour of wrongdoing out. That will be a decision taken at the time given whatever is out there.”
Earlier this week, Sun reporter Jamie Pyatt was arrested in the police investigation into alleged payments from journalists to police officers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents