Japan accuses China of `dangerous` flights amid dispute
Tokyo: Japan accused China of flying fighter jets "dangerously" close to two of its military planes over the East China Sea on Wednesday, as bilateral tensions simmer over the countries` territorial dispute.
Two Chinese SU-27 jets flew as close as 30 metres (100 feet) away from the Japanese defence aircraft at about 11am local time (0730 IST), the defence ministry in Tokyo said.
Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters his ministry had lodged a diplomatic complaint with China over the incident.
It was the second time in less than three weeks that Tokyo accused Beijing of "dangerous" flights by Chinese fighter jets against Japanese military planes.
The alleged incident occurred over the open seas near the disputed waters where China`s stated air defence identification zone overlaps with that of Japan.
The area is about 200-300 kilometres (125-190 miles) north of the Japanese-controlled Senkaku islands, which China also claims and calls the Diaoyus.
Defence Minister Onodera called the Chinese aircraft`s manoeuvres "extremely dangerous flights that could have led to an accident."
"We cannot allow this to happen," he said, urging Beijing to preventing a recurrence by by establishing a hotline between their defence officials.
In an apparent tit-for-tat move, the Chinese defence ministry said on May 29 that two Japanese fighter planes came within 10 metres of a Chinese transport aircraft over the East China Sea in late November last year.
The territorial dispute flared in September 2012 when Tokyo nationalised some of the islands.
Chinese state-owned ships and aircraft, including coastguard vessels, have since approached the island group, sometimes venturing into its territorial waters and airspace, chased by Japanese coastguard patrols and prompting Tokyo to scramble fighter jets.
Fears of a military clash in the area have been heightened after China unilaterally declared last November the establishment of its air defence identification zone above the East China Sea, which overlaps a similar Japanese zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP