Japan begins criminal probe into Fukushima nuke disaster
Tokyo: Japanese prosecutors have reportedly begun a criminal investigation into last year’s Fukushima nuclear plant accident.
The probe by the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor`s Office and two other district prosecutor`s offices came in response to five criminal complaints, including accusations that TEPCO executives and government officials committed ‘acts of professional negligence’.
Another complaint accuses six government officials, including former Prime Minister Naoto Kan, of failing to act quickly to ensure that radioactive steam was vented from the containment vessel of the plant`s reactor 1, leading to hydrogen explosions that injured plant workers, The Japan Times reports.
Tokyo prosecutors accepted three criminal complaints, including one that accuses 26 senior officials of TEPCO and the education ministry of actions that resulted in the deaths of hospital patients near the plant and the unnecessary exposure of residents to radiation.
According to the report, in another complaint accepted by the Fukushima prosecutors some 1,300 prefectural residents accused 33 people, including former Tepco Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata and Haruki Madarame, chairman of the government`s Nuclear Safety Commission, of negligence in connection with the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO