Japan Cabinet OKs new nuclear safety agency
Tokyo: Japan`s Cabinet has approved a plan to expand the main nuclear regulatory agency and move it to the Environment Ministry from the Trade Ministry where it has been criticised as being too cozy with the industry it regulates.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said on Monday the new agency will also oversee nuclear security, radiation monitoring and crisis management.
The existing agency drew increased scrutiny after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant suffered melting reactor cores after this year`s massive tsunami. The agency was criticised partly for being part of the same agency that promotes nuclear energy.
Establishing the new agency will require parliamentary approval. It is planned for launch next April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video