Japan considering deporting pro-China activists
Tokyo: Amidst harsh criticisms in China, Japan is mulling deporting 14 Chinese activists arrested for landing without authorisation on disputed islands.
The police had earlier shifted the activists to Okinawa in southern Japan for questioning.
The activists had sailed from Hong Kong to the islands, known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.
“They may be transferred to the Immigration Bureau of Japan later and sent back to Hong Kong,” the BBC quoted a spokesman from Japan Coast Guard, as saying.
China has called for an immediate and unconditional release of the activists, the report added.
According to the report, the group of pro-China activists had set sail on Sunday.
It is the first time non-Japanese nationals have landed on the disputed islands since 2004, the report added.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said Japan has lodged a diplomatic protest with China and in Hong Kong over the activists, the report said.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has also ‘lodged solemn representations’ with Japan and demanded Japan to return the activists safely.
Tensions between China and Japan have been worsening in recent months over the islands in the East China Sea.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17