Japan creating Diaoyu islands tension: China
Beijing: China on Friday accused Japan of creating tensions over the Diaoyu Islands, Xinhua reported.
"The Japanese side has continued to take negative acts on the Diaoyu Islands issue for a period of time, and organised its Self Defence Force planes to interrupt Chinese planes` normal flights," Hong Lei, a foreign ministry spokesperson, said during a daily press briefing.
"Such moves, which highlight military implications and create tensions, go against the trend that all the nations in the region should peacefully solve conflicts through talks," Hong said.
He said China and Japan have "maintained contact on the issue", and that China holds a firm stance on safeguarding territorial sovereignty.
"We hope the Japanese side can exercise sincerity with calmness, work for shared goals with China, and thus find ways to properly solve and manage problems through consultations," the official said.
Relations between Japan and China have soured since the Japanese government said it would "purchase" part of the Diaoyu Islands in the East China Sea in 2012. China insists that the islands are part of its inherent territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'