Japan deploys Patriot missiles
Tokyo: A Japanese naval transport ship has delivered Patriot missile interceptor systems to the southern island of Ishigaki to counter any threat posed by North Korea`s planned rocket launch, Japan`s Kyodo news agency reported.
The JDS Kunisaki delivered two Patriot Advanced Capability-3 systems to Ishigaki, which is located about 400 km southwest of Okinawa. Patriots will also be deployed on Okinawa.
North Korea`s KCNA news agency reported last week that a Kwangmyongsong-3 Earth observation satellite will be launched by an Unha-3 carrier rocket from the Sohae Space Centre between Dec 10 and 22.
The Japanese military maintains that its air defence capabilities are being readied not to shoot down the Korean rocket, but to destroy any spacecraft elements or debris that might threaten Japanese territory if the rocket deviates from its planned trajectory.
South Korea`s Yonhap news agency reported earlier Wednesday that North Korea completed pre-launch assembly of all three stages of the long-range rocket.
The launch will be North Korea`s second this year. A previous launch in April failed when the rocket, carrying a Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite, crashed into the Yellow Sea minutes after liftoff.
Pyongyang notified the UN`s International Maritime Organization about the launch Monday. According to the preliminary coordinates, the rocket`s first stage will fall into the Yellow Sea between the Korean Peninsula and China, and the second stage separation will take place 136 km east of the Philippines.
North Korea maintains it wants to put satellites into orbit for peaceful purposes, while the international community suspects the launches could be a cover for a programme to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon strongly urged North Korea Tuesday to reconsider its decision to launch a rocket which would be "a clear violation" of UN sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?