Japan drives off Taiwanese boats
Tokyo: Forty Taiwanese fishing vessels which sailed into Japanese waters early Tuesday around a group of disputed islands have left, Japan`s coast guard said.
The vessels set off for the disputed Senkaku Islands (Diaoyu in Chinese), escorted by eight patrol boats, in an apparent show of defiance against Japan`s controversial nationalisation of three of the five disputed islands in East China Sea.
Japan`s coast guard was alerted of the fishermen`s plans to gather all available vessels within about 37 km of the islands and encircle them, the NHK TV channel reported.
The coast guard responded by firing water cannons at the Taiwanese ships.
The islands have been at the centre of a dispute recently that has triggered violent anti-Japan protests across China and caused Japanese companies to suspend operations in China.
Both Taiwan - to which the pre-1949 Chinese government moved - and mainland China reject Japan`s claims to the islands, which were controlled by the US after World War II and given to Japan in 1972.
Beijing and Tokyo cannot agree on a maritime border in the economic zones around the islands.
Japan claims it has occupied the islands since 1895, while Beijing says Japanese charts dating back to 1783 show the islands as Chinese territory.
Japan also claims that China and Taiwan only began to take an interest in the islands in the 1970s, when evidence was discovered of major subsurface resource deposits in their territorial waters.
Japan`s chief cabinet secretary Osamu Fujimura said that despite the territorial dispute, Japan aims to resolve the conflict while maintaining friendly relations with Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof