Japan executes three inmates
Tokyo: Japan on Thursday executed three inmates who had been sentenced to death, marking the first executions since conservative Prime Minister Shinzo Abe took office in December, the Justice Ministry said.
The three inmates, who were ages 29, 44 and 62, had been convicted of murder and were hanged.
A total of 133 inmates are on death row in Japan, the highest number since 1949, when figures were first released.
Nine people were executed during the three years of the previous government.
The death penalty has been debated nationally in the Asian country, but polls show that a majority of Japanese support capital punishment.
Masahiro Kanagawa, 29, was executed in Tokyo for murdering two people and wounding several others in Ibaraki, a prefecture north of Tokyo, in March 2008.
Kaoru Kobayashi, 44, was hanged in the western city of Osaka for the kidnapping and murder of a seven-year-old girl in the western prefecture of Nara in November 2004.
Keiki Kato, 62, was executed in the central city of Nagoya for the murder of a bar owner who tried to prevent him from leaving her establishment without paying.
Japan had executed two inmates, including the first woman hanged in 15 years, in September 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!