Japan eyes getting amphibious landing vehicles
Tokyo: Japan plans to procure amphibious landing craft for the Ground Self-Defence Force for the first time and will seek about 38 million USD in fiscal 2013 appropriations to obtain four such vehicles, ministry sources have said.
The plan is aimed at strengthening Japan`s defence capabilities at places such as the Nansei Islands in the East China Sea, where China continues to expand its maritime activities.
The move comes at a time when territorial disputes with South Korea and China, including the Japanese-controlled Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, have generated heat on the diplomatic front.
The ministry appears to be using the visit of South Korean President Lee Myung Bak to a group of disputed islets, known as Takeshima in Japan and Dokdo in South Korea, as well as the landing by a group of Hong Kong activists on the Senkakus earlier this month as a spring board to develop its defence equipment and capabilities, political observers said.
But there remains a legal hurdle for the actual deployment of the vehicles as they are designed for offensive purposes.
Currently, if the GSDF enters a "conflict," it requires the prime minister to issue an order to mobilize the SDF after gaining parliament approval, legal experts said.
The SDF are bound by extremely restrictive rules concerning the use of weapons, except in operations to defend the nation from an armed attack or other acts of aggression by a foreign country.
The ministry plans to get four vehicles, similar to the ones owned by the US Marine Corps, in the year starting April 1 and hopes to add more in the following years.
The four vehicles are expected to be deployed at the GSDF`s Western Army Infantry Regiment based in Nagasaki Prefecture, which is charged with defending the Kyushu and Okinawa regions.
Yesterday, Vice Defence Minister Shu Watanabe said on a TV program, "The Defence Ministry will make a budget request to clearly show what is needed to protect our islands."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in