Japan faces `more severe` security situation: PM
Tokyo: Japan is facing growing security
challenges due to China`s flexing of its military might and
North Korea`s missile development programme and nuclear
status, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said on Sunday.
Kan`s comments come amid heightened tensions with China
over disputed islands and growing military activities by the
rapidly developing Asian giant and follow a report that North
Korea may be preparing for a third nuclear test.
Ties between Tokyo and Beijing were badly strained after
Japan arrested a Chinese trawler captain near the island chain
in the East China Sea last month, sparking a barrage of
protests from Beijing.
"The security situation surrounding Japan is becoming
more severe, seen in concerns over North Korea`s missile and
nuclear arms development and in China`s increasing naval
activity along with its military modernisation," Kan said at
an inspection parade of troops in suburban Tokyo.
"The Self-Defence Forces need to be poised to deal with
various situations effectively," Kan said, using the official
name of the Japanese troops.
Kan also stressed the importance of strengthening the
decades-long alliance with the United States, saying: "I`d
like to deepen the alliance into an appropriate form for the
The prime minister attended the parade for the first time
as the premier of the government led by the centre-left
Democratic Party of Japan, which ousted a conservative
government last year.
In the latest development in the bitter spat between
China and Japan, Tokyo today urged Beijing to normalise rare
earth exports that are crucial for high-tech Japan after
shipments were blocked last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31