Japan hit by 6.9-magnitude earthquake
Tokyo: A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off
Japan`s southern coast today, shaking a broad swath of the
country and swaying buildings in downtown Tokyo.
No damage or injuries were immediately reported, and
Japan`s meteorological agency said there was no danger of a
The temblor hit at 12:25 pm local time (0855 hrs IST),
with the epicentre near the Ogasawara Islands, about 800
kilometres south of the main Japanese island, the agency said.
It struck at a depth of 480 kilometres.
Japan`s meteorological agency reported a magnitude of
6.9, however, the US Geological Survey said the quake was 6.6.
The reason for the discrepancy was not immediately clear.
The Ogasawara are known as the Bonin Islands outside of
Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in
the world. In 1995, a quake of magnitude 7.2 killed 6,400
people in the western port city of Kobe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read