Japan holds military drill aimed at island defence
Tokyo: Japan has conducted a military drill apparently aimed at bolstering defence of islands at the center of a territorial dispute with China.
The Defense Ministry says it was the first time the annual drill, held today near Tokyo, was aimed at island defence.
Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said Japan must improve its military tactics in light of the dispute with China.
He said Chinese aircraft and sea vessels have infringed upon Japanese territory in waters and airspace around the disputed East China Sea islands, called Senkaku in Japan.
China also claims the islands, calling them Diaoyu. The Japanese government`s purchase of the islands in September triggered violent anti-Japan protests across China.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said his government will increase defence spending to strengthen defence of the islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!