Japan holds military drill aimed at island defence
Tokyo: Japan has conducted a military drill apparently aimed at bolstering defence of islands at the center of a territorial dispute with China.
The Defense Ministry says it was the first time the annual drill, held today near Tokyo, was aimed at island defence.
Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said Japan must improve its military tactics in light of the dispute with China.
He said Chinese aircraft and sea vessels have infringed upon Japanese territory in waters and airspace around the disputed East China Sea islands, called Senkaku in Japan.
China also claims the islands, calling them Diaoyu. The Japanese government`s purchase of the islands in September triggered violent anti-Japan protests across China.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said his government will increase defence spending to strengthen defence of the islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!