Japan minister may be sacked for meeting China ‘spy`
Tokyo: A senior Japanese minister may be forced out of office after admitting that he met a Chinese diplomat suspected of spying and other unlawful activities, as the spy scandal triggered ripples in the country.
Nobutaka Tsutsui, a senior vice minister of agriculture, told reporters that he met the Chinese first secretary in his office, but denied any "close ties" with the diplomat who disappeared from his post here, Kyodo reported.
But his admission triggered a fury among opposition lawmakers who said they would closely question him in Parliament.
Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda may sack the minister amid claims that the Chinese agent could have seen classified information on agricultural exports, Yomiuri Shimbun a Japanese newspaper reported.
Police are probing claims that the diplomat also had contact with defence firm employees and research and development organisation officials in a bid to obtain information about military technology, the newspaper said.
Earlier reports said that the diplomat Li Chunguang, who is fluent in Japanese, fled the country before police could question him.
Beijing yesterday dismissed claims that 45-year-old was a spy as "totally groundless" and said he has left Japan after completing his tenure at the embassy.
Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Michihiko Kano said he has issued an order to set up an investigative team to find out if there were any leakages of classified information, Kyodo reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know