Japan, N Korea hold first direct talks in 4 years
Washington: North Korea and Japan’s initiation of holding the first direct talks in four years may reflect Pyongyang’s desire to stabilise its new regime in the country through diplomacy and economic reform, analysts have said.
The ties between the two countries have been severely strained over the years after North Korea`s abductions of Japanese citizens in the 1970s and 1980s, as well as the North`s firing of ballistic missiles over Japan and its nuclear program.
While the primary topic of the meeting between the two countries in Beijing will be repatriating the remains of the Japanese who died in Korea at the end of World War II, the focus would remain on whether the two nations can make progress on the abduction issue, the Wall Street Journal reports.
“I`m under the impression North Korea may be willing to respond, in some form, to the abductions issue as part of the humanitarian issues to be discussed,” the paper quoted Masao Okonogi, an expert on Korean affairs and professor emeritus in law at Keio University in Tokyo, as saying.
Okonogi claimed that resolving the abduction issue is crucial to Pyongyang`s goal of normalising diplomatic relations with Japan and seeking Tokyo`s economic assistance.
The meeting also comes as Japan is ensnared in a bitter territorial dispute with South Korea over claims to a set of disputed islands, known as Liancourt Rocks that are controlled by Seoul.
As Japan and South Korea squabble over the issue, Pyongyang may see a good chance to play its neighbours off against each other, believes Okonogi.
"With Japan’s ties with South Korea strained, the North may think this is a good chance to get closer to Tokyo," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla