Japan N-reactors could take 40 years to dismantle
Tokyo: Japan said on Wednesday that decommissioning
the tsunami-wrecked reactors at Fukushima could take as long
as 40 years, with melted nuclear fuel possibly stuck where it
is for a quarter of a century.
A roadmap produced by the government and plant operator
Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) envisages engineers will use much
of the next 10 years just trying to work out how to get at the
fuel, which has partly eaten through its containment vessels.
Underlining the challenges involved in dealing with the
disaster, the plan says that as-yet uninvented technology will
be key to safely disposing of the waste left behind by the
world`s worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl.
"Each and every one of the steps toward decommissioning
currently poses many technological challenges," said Goshi
Hosono, the government minister with responsibility for
dealing with the Fukushima disaster.
"We expected extremely difficult work to remove fuel
debris (from the reactors). We must accelerate work to develop
technologies, particularly remote control robots," he told
"We will gradually make progress by assessing both the
situation on site and the state of research and development
work," he said.
The unveiling of the plan comes days after Prime Minister
Yoshihiko Noda announced the stricken reactors on Japan`s
tsunami-ravaged northeast coast had reached a state of "cold
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!