Japan, Philippines alarmed by China`s new air zone
Manila: Japan`s defence minister said on Saturday that China`s recently declared maritime air defence zone over the East China Sea raises regional tensions and that the international community must oppose any move to establish a similar zone over the South China Sea.
Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters after meeting with Philippine Defence Secretary Voltaire Gazmin that he and Gazmin discussed reports that China is considering establishing a similar zone over the South China Sea.
"Any unilateral establishment of an ADIZ in any area would bring up tensions over the area. Therefore we have concerns over such development," Onodera said through an interpreter.
When asked to comment about concerns about China possibly setting up a zone over the South China Sea, China`s ambassador to the Philippines, Ma Keqing, said on Monday that it was China`s right to decide "where and when to set up" an air identification zone. She would not say, however, whether China would set up a zone over the South China Sea.
Onodera said China`s unilateral establishment of the air zone and demand for all commercial flights passing through it to submit flight plans in advance violate the spirit of the International Civil Aviation Organization treaty.
He said Japan will oppose the setting up of a similar zone over the South China Sea. "I think the world shares the same understanding that regional tensions should not be raised by that course of action," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo