Japan, Philippines alarmed by China`s new air zone
Manila: Japan`s defence minister said on Saturday that China`s recently declared maritime air defence zone over the East China Sea raises regional tensions and that the international community must oppose any move to establish a similar zone over the South China Sea.
Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters after meeting with Philippine Defence Secretary Voltaire Gazmin that he and Gazmin discussed reports that China is considering establishing a similar zone over the South China Sea.
"Any unilateral establishment of an ADIZ in any area would bring up tensions over the area. Therefore we have concerns over such development," Onodera said through an interpreter.
When asked to comment about concerns about China possibly setting up a zone over the South China Sea, China`s ambassador to the Philippines, Ma Keqing, said on Monday that it was China`s right to decide "where and when to set up" an air identification zone. She would not say, however, whether China would set up a zone over the South China Sea.
Onodera said China`s unilateral establishment of the air zone and demand for all commercial flights passing through it to submit flight plans in advance violate the spirit of the International Civil Aviation Organization treaty.
He said Japan will oppose the setting up of a similar zone over the South China Sea. "I think the world shares the same understanding that regional tensions should not be raised by that course of action," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'