Japan PM adds Cabinet jobs on tsunami, nuke crisis
Tokyo: Japan`s Prime Minister on Monday
created two Cabinet posts to oversee the nuclear crisis and
tsunami reconstruction efforts as he hopes to shore up his
administration against criticism of its handling of the
Prime Minister Naoto Kan named Ryu Matsumoto as
reconstruction minister and made Goshi Hosono his minister in
charge of handling the crisis at the Fukushima Dai-ichi
He also gave special advisory positions to two other
The moves are seen as an attempt by Kan to strengthen
his hand against a growing number of critics who perceive a
lack of leadership following the March 11 disaster.
He has said he would be willing to step down, but only
after significant steps are made toward putting Japan`s
recovery on a solid footing.
He has also set several preconditions, including the
passage of budget bills and a renewable energy measure.
Hosono, who has been director of the government`s
nuclear crisis task force, will also be in charge of power
An electricity shortage is expected in Tokyo because
of the nuclear crisis, and the government has taken several
steps to prevent problems.
Matsumoto, previously Kan`s environment minister, will
be replaced by Justice Minister Satsuki Eda, who will hold a
Popular Cabinet member Renho will become an advisor,
along with Shizuka Kamei, the leader of a smaller party in
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano announced the new
lineup, in which he also serves administrative reform
minister, taking over Renho`s former post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack