Japan PM faces heat in SKorea island row
Tokyo: Japan`s Prime Minister Naoto Kan
suffered a fresh political blow on Thursday after one of his allies
was found to have supported South Korea in a bitter
territorial row between the two countries.
Ryuichi Doi, a lawmaker and adviser to Kan`s study group
in the ruling Democratic Party of Japan, admitted he
inadvertently signed a document at a political gathering in
Seoul which backed the South Korean claim to disputed islands.
The document in part called for former coloniser Japan to
renounce its sovereignty claims to a group of South
Korea-controlled islets, known as Takeshima in Japan and Dokdo
in South Korea.
"I did not closely examine" the text, the 72-year-old
politician told a news conference a day after his apparently
unpatriotic act drew fire in local media.
"I wish to apologise to the nation and the people
concerned," Doi said, offering to give up his posts as
chairman of the lower house panel on political ethics and as
the head of a party executive council.
He said the islands are an "integral part of Japanese
territory," echoing the position of successive Japanese
governments, which have also sparred with Russia and China in
separate territorial spats.
Doi, a former socialist, attended the gathering of South
Korean and Japanese Christian parliamentarians in Seoul on
February 27, which marked the anniversary of a 1919 popular
uprising against Japanese colonisers.
Doi`s action came to light yesterday, the day Kan picked
Takeaki Matsumoto as his new foreign minister to replace Seiji
Maehara, who resigned after just six months on the job over a
Premier Kan, whose approval rating has plunged below 20
per cent in the nine months since he took office, called Doi`s
act "extremely deplorable".
"Takeshima is an integral part of Japan`s territory and
this is an unchangeable fact," Kan told the budget committee
in the opposition-controlled upper house.
Opposition leaders, determined to derail Kan`s budget
plan for the fiscal year from April 1, said that DPJ leader
Kan was responsible for Doi`s act.
"Mr. Kan himself should act responsibly as the leader of
the party," said Sadakazu Tanigaki, head of the main
opposition Liberal Democratic Party.
Natsuo Yamaguchi, head of the Buddhist-backed opposition
party New Komeito, said that it had become apparent that the
Kan government was "crumbling."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt