Japan PM leaves for Latin America, Caribbean
Tokyo: Japan`s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Friday left on a five-nation tour of Latin America and the Caribbean that will reportedly see a major Japanese bank extend a USD 500 million oil exploration loan to Brazil.
The visit comes as Chinese President Xi Jinping wrapped up a nine-day Latin American tour, as the Asian powers eye the region`s fast-growing economies and vast natural resources.
On Friday morning, Abe left Tokyo on his way to Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago, Colombia, Chile and Brazil. He will return to Japan on August 04.
Japan`s Sankei newspaper reported on Friday that Mizuho, one of the country`s biggest banks, is to sign a deal for about USD 500 million worth of loans to Brazil`s state-run oil firm Petrobras to help fund oil exploration off the country`s coast.
Earlier this week, the Mainichi newspaper said Abe was to discuss with his Brazilian counterpart a proposal to boost the number of permanent seats on the UN Security Council to 11 from the current five.
Japan and Brazil, along with India and Germany, have long campaigned for permanent seats, which are currently held by Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.
Abe`s trip to Mexico and Chile will also see him discuss details of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a vast free trade deal led by the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price