Japan PM says finalizing plan to end US base row
Tokyo: Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama said on Tuesday he was finalizing a plan to resolve a row over a U.S. airbase by an end-of-May deadline, as he struggles to revive sagging support in the run-up to an election.
Hatoyama spoke to reporters hours ahead of the arrival of a U.S. envoy who said in a newspaper interview that Japan had presented a "serious" proposal that could enable talks to progress to a new level.
"The situation is that we are considering a government proposal seriously," Hatoyama told reporters outside his residence. "I want to put the final touches to it."
But he said working-level talks on the plan between Japan and the United States had not yet begun.
Hatoyama`s support has slumped to about 25 percent in recent polls, partly on voters` perception that he has mishandled the base issue, boding ill for his ruling Democratic Party`s chances of winning an upper house election expected in July or August.
Failure to secure a majority could mean policy deadlock just as the country seeks to maintain a fragile economic recovery while reining in its massive debt.
Under a 2006 agreement, the U.S. Marines` Futenma base was to be shifted from a city center to a less heavily populated part of Okinawa, but Hatoyama raised hopes before his election victory last year that Futenma could be moved off the island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks