Japan PM snubs China apology demand in island row
Tokyo: Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Sunday rejected China`s call for an apology and compensation for the detention of a Chinese trawlerman, Jiji Press and Kyodo News reported.
"The Senkaku islands are Japan`s own territory. From this viewpoint, compensation is unthinkable," Kan told reporters in Tokyo, according to Jiji.
Beijing has made repeated calls for an apology and compensation from Tokyo over what it called the "unlawful" detention, demanding "practical steps" to resolve the diplomatic row.
The arrest on September 07 of the Chinese skipper, whose vessel rammed Japanese patrol boats in disputed waters near the island chain in the East China Sea -- known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China -- sparked a diplomatic row between the two Asian giants.
Japan announced on Friday it would free the trawlerman but said the decision was made solely by prosecutors, insisting the island chain belongs to Tokyo.
Japanese prosecutors cited the deepening rift between Beijing and Tokyo in their decision to release the skipper.
The Japanese government has faced accusations that it caved in to bullying by China over the decision to release the captain, Zhan Qixiong, who arrived home on Saturday morning.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York, Kan said on Saturday there had been no political interference in prosecutors` move to free him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you