Japan pop idol`s head-shave apology stirs debate
Tokyo: A member of a hugely popular Japanese girl band has shaved her head and issued a tearful videotaped apology for violating the megagroup`s no-dating rule.
The spectacle has sparked debate in Japan over whether the band AKB48 exerts too much control over its performers.
Minami Minegishi made the video, posted on AKB48`s website, after the 20-year-old was caught by a gossip magazine coming out of her boyfriend`s apartment.
AKB48 says it forbids its members from dating to project a clean image and signal their devotion to the group and their mostly male fans.
The band is made up of more than 90 teenage girls and young women divided into several teams. Minegishi belonged to the most prestigious team but her manager said she will be demoted to "research student" status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video