Japan pop idol`s head-shave apology stirs debate
Tokyo: A member of a hugely popular Japanese girl band has shaved her head and issued a tearful videotaped apology for violating the megagroup`s no-dating rule.
The spectacle has sparked debate in Japan over whether the band AKB48 exerts too much control over its performers.
Minami Minegishi made the video, posted on AKB48`s website, after the 20-year-old was caught by a gossip magazine coming out of her boyfriend`s apartment.
AKB48 says it forbids its members from dating to project a clean image and signal their devotion to the group and their mostly male fans.
The band is made up of more than 90 teenage girls and young women divided into several teams. Minegishi belonged to the most prestigious team but her manager said she will be demoted to "research student" status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway