Japan prepares for any eventuality over Korea tensions
Tokyo: Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan
Tuesday said he has ordered his ministers to prepare for any eventuality after North Korea fired artillery shells on to a South Korean island.
"I ordered (ministers) to make preparations so that we
can react firmly, should any unexpected event occur," Kan told
reporters after an emergency meeting of cabinet members and
senior officials at his official residence.
"I ordered them to do their utmost to gather
information," he said.
The North Korean attack on the island near the border
between the two Koreas killed at least one South Korean marine
and triggered an exchange of fire as southern armed forces
went on their highest state of alert.
Kan said he planned to attend a scheduled event at the
imperial palace this evening, but said he will remain updated
on the situation.
"We will make preparations so that whatever happens,
we will be able to deal with it," Kan said.
The incident came after North Korea`s disclosure of an
apparently operational uranium enrichment programme -- a
second potential way of building a nuclear bomb -- which is
causing serious alarm for the United States and its allies.
Japan has long regarded North Korea as a military
threat because of its nuclear and missile programmes.
Ties between Japan and North Korea have been tense for
years, with Tokyo taking a hard line over Pyongyang`s military
programmes as well as the kidnapping of Japanese nationals
during the Cold War to train spies.
North Korea has also lambasted Japan for its past
aggression in Asia before and during the World War II and has
accused Japan of antagonistic posturing against the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?