Japan push the panic button, inspection of all major tunnels
Tokyo: After a highway tunnel in Japan collapsed on Sunday, killing nine people in vehicles upon which landed the concrete ceilings, a sense of panic gripped the Japan on its infrastructural security on Monday.
It immediately ordered inspection probe on 49 other tunnels on highway roads as a precautionary measure.
Today vehicles plying inside the long highway tunnel named Sasago tunnel, caught fire and plumes of smoke billowed from them, obstructing the rescue work.
Though a total of nine bodies were recovered from the vans, the officials feared that the death toll could rise.
The officials suspended rescue work Monday while the highway operator does work to support the remaining panels in the ceiling, said Jun Goto, an official at the Fire and Disaster Management Agency. It`s expected to resume by afternoon.
Goto said it`s not clear if there are other survivors.
Police and the highway operator Central Japan Expressway Co. were investigating why the concrete panels collapsed. The size of each panel, how many fell and other details about the collapse were not immediately released.
The nine dead were traveling in three vehicles in the tunnel about 80 kilometers (50 miles) west of Tokyo on a highway that links the capital to central Japan. The tunnel opened in 1977 and is one of many in the mountainous country.
The private company that runs the highway has said the tunnel underwent a major inspection just two months ago and was given a clean bill of health, reported the BBC.
Company President and CEO Takekazu Kaneko said that the company was inspecting other tunnels of similar structure, including a parallel tunnel for traffic going in the opposite direction. Both sections of the highway were shut down indefinitely.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know