Japan ‘quietly’ buys disputed Senkaku Islands
Tokyo: The Japanese Government has clinched a deal to buy the Senkaku Islands from their private owners, whose sovereignty has been disputed with China.
It is understood that owners, the Kurihara family, have been paid JPY 2.05 billion (USD 26 million) for three of the five Senkaku Islands, which are known as the Diaoyu Group of Islands in China.
According to the Daily Mail, the move would effectively nationalise the islands and stop China from buying them, which lie 200 miles from the Chinese mainland and 200 miles from Okinawa in Japan.
It comes following months of rising diplomatic tension between the two countries over which has sovereignty over them.
The oil-rich islands in the East China Sea have been heavily disputed by China and Japan.
A Japanese Government official has declined to confirm the deal and said that negotiations were continuing.
Last weekend, Tokyo had sent a team of experts to waters around the islands to survey fishing grounds and possible sites for development.
China responded by calling the reported purchase ‘illegal and invalid’.
“For them to nationalise the Diaoyu islands seriously violates China’s sovereignty and hurts the Chinese people’s feelings,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.
“I stress again that any of their unilateral acts with the Diaoyu islands are illegal and invalid,” he said.
“China’s determination will not change in terms of safeguarding its territory. China is observing the situation and will take necessary measures to defend its sovereignty,” Lei added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof