Japan says Fukushima leak worst since tsunami
Tokyo: Japan on Wednesday issued its strongest warning about the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant since the crisis began in 2011, as it struggled to seal a tank that has leaked 300 tonnes of radioactive water.
Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said some of the water might have flown into the Pacific Ocean.
Nuclear regulators said the leak represented a level-three "serious incident" on the UN`s seven-point International Nuclear Event Scale (INES), which measures radiation accidents.
"Something that we were very much concerned about has occurred," Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) chairman Shunichi Tanaka told a meeting in Tokyo. "We are in a situation where there is no time to lose."
The alert, raised from level one which indicates an "anomaly", is the most serious declared at the ruined plant since March 2011, when a quake-generated tsunami knocked out reactor cooling systems and sparked meltdowns.
At its height the Fukushima disaster was classified as level seven -- one of only two events ever rated in that category along with the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.
The NRA said in a statement the amount of radiation leakage and the "fact that there is no safety protective layer remaining at the facility" meant the level-three warning needed to be declared.
It will now consult the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on the reassessment, it said.
In Vienna IAEA spokeswoman Gill Tudor said the agency "views this matter seriously and remains ready to provide assistance on request".
Japan`s top government spokesman, chief cabinet secretary Yoshihide Suga, said the incident was "extremely deplorable".
"The government as a whole will do its utmost to prevent the leakage of contaminated water as promptly as possible," he told a news conference. "We will make a proper assessment after consulting the IAEA."
The evaluation came a day after TEPCO said some 300 tonnes of radioactive water was believed to have leaked from one of the tanks that hold water, including water used to cool the unstable reactors.
It said water puddles near the tank were so toxic that anyone exposed to it would receive the same amount of radiation in an hour that a nuclear plant worker is allowed to receive in five years.
The plant lies inside a 20-kilometre exclusion zone and the public is not allowed near it. TEPCO said the leak was thought to be continuing today and it had not yet pinpointed the exact source.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo