Japan to help in Yangon city upgrade plan
Yangon: The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is drafting a 40-year Yangon City upgrading plan aimed at helping imoprove Myamnar`s backward former capital city, media reports said Thursday.
The 40-year draft plan, expected to be completed by 2013, includes upgrading the city`s drainage system, urban transportation, drinking water system, Thilawa Special Economic Zone and port terminals, the Myanmar Post Global quoted Yangon City Development Committee (YCDC) as saying, reported Xinhua.
According to the plan, only 60 percent of Yangon`s over six- million population can get enough water supply and more water sources are being needed.
Meanwhile, overpasses are being planned in some traffic junctions in a bid to ease traffic jams.
These traffic junctions include Hledan, Shwegondaing, Tarmwe and Bayintnaung where traffic congestion occurs almost all the day. Construction of overpasses at Hledan and Bayintnaung has already begun.
The plan also covers upgrading port terminals at Yangon Port in line with international standards in collaboration with private entrepreneurs under joint-venture basis or build-operate-transfer (BOT) system.
With a population of over six million and an area of 795 sq km, Yangon city is demarcated as 45 townships, of which 33 represent the municipal area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack