Japan to name islets in disputed area
Tokyo: Japan has decided to name several uninhabited islands in a group that is also claimed by China and Taiwan, a move likely to anger the Asian neighbours.
Japan`s chief government spokesman said on Monday that 39 uninhabited islands will be given names by the end of March.
The islands all are within what Japan claims as its exclusive economic zone. But four of them are in the Senkaku, or Daioyu, island group in the East China Sea, which is also claimed by Taiwan and China and have been a flashpoint in diplomatic relations.
Soichi Yamagata, on official with the Cabinet office, said the names will be used for new maps. He said the islets are within Japan`s established exclusive economic zone and will not change any maritime boundaries.
He said the move was not intended to stir debate about ownership of the islands. Japan has long claimed the islands as its own.
The islands are surrounded by rich fishing grounds and are regularly occupied by nationalists from both sides.
Ties between Japan and China have been strained for years over the island dispute, a contested gas field in the East China Sea and lingering animosity over Japan`s often brutal World War II-era occupation of China.
A 2010 collision between a Chinese fishing boat and the Japanese coast guard near the islands inflamed tensions between the countries, with Beijing suspending ministerial-level contacts.
China also postponed talks on the joint development of the undersea natural gas fields and halted Japan-bound exports of rare earth metals used in high-tech manufacturing. Several anti-Japanese demonstrations occurred across China.
The Chinese captain was arrested but later released and sent back to China after heavy pressure from Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster