Japan to test first homegrown stealth fighter jet: Report
Tokyo: A group of major Japanese firms are planning a test flight next year for the nation`s first homegrown stealth fighter jet, a report said today.
The consortium - led by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries - is developing a jet that has similar technology to US-made F-35 stealth fighters, with a prototype set for a test run in January, the Mainichi Shimbun newspaper said.
About USD 384 million has been invested in the project, said the report, which did not cite sources.
Following the initial flight, the jet will undergo about two years of testing at the defence ministry with Tokyo set to decide on whether to buy the plane by early 2019, it added.
The story could not be immediately confirmed.
Japan, which sees a security alliance with the United States as a cornerstone of its foreign policy, has long depended on US manufacturers for military hardware.
But the conservative government has been looking to expand Japan`s military influence, and has relaxed a self-imposed ban on weapons exports.
Last month, Tokyo loosened the bonds on Japan`s powerful military, proclaiming the right to go into battle in defence of allies, in a highly controversial shift for the officially pacifist country.
The development of a homegrown jet comes amid worsening tensions with Beijing over rival claims to islands in the East China Sea.
Japan said last month that its military scrambled fighter jets a record 340 times in the three months to June in response to feared intrusions on its airspace.
Chinese government ships and planes have been seen off the disputed islands dozens of times since Japan nationalised some of the archipelago nearly two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise