Japan ups damage seen from feared quake
Tokyo: A government panel has sharply increased its financial estimate of how much damage a major quake centered off the coast of central Japan would cause, raising the urgency of disaster preparedness for much of the country`s eastern coast.
The Cabinet Office said in a report carried by all major newspapers that the estimate of USD 2.3 trillion in damage was based on expectations for a magnitude 9 earthquake striking in the Nankai Trough, which runs from just southwest of Tokyo to the east of the southern island of Kyushu.
A magnitude 9 earthquake struck off the northeastern coast in March 2011, unleashing a massive tsunami that killed nearly 20,000 people.
The Cabinet intends to use the higher damage estimate in drawing up disaster preparedness plans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL