‘Japan-US alliance serving as Senkaku deterrent for China’
Tokyo: Japan`s alliance with the United States has served as a ‘deterrent’ in the territorial dispute with China as it called for calm in the row, Japanese ambassador to the US has said.
Though Washington has stated that it takes no position on the disputed islands, known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China, it has made clear that its security treaty with Japan covers all areas under Tokyo`s control.
“I think that constitutes an important deterrence,” the Japan Times quoted Ambassador Ichiro Fujisaki, as saying.
The United States "has been saying that they do not take a position on the sovereignty issue but have always stated that US-Japan security arrangements would cover those islands," he added.
According to the report, Fujisaki downplayed speculation that the row and the island dispute with South Korea could flare into full-blown conflicts.
“That`s not going to happen, that should not happen. This is not started by us — by Japan — and we have a good historical and legal position,” he said.
“However, our position is very clear — we are not going to raise tension and try to take it up emotionally. We would like to calmly deal with this,” he added.
The rows between the countries have spread globally, with China shunning the annual IMF and World Bank meetings under way in Tokyo. However, Fujisaki credited China with making progress in recent weeks in controlling anti-Japanese protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir