Japan, US to explore joint project in Okinawa, Hawaii
Tokyo: Japan and the US will explore a
joint experimental project of a next-generation "smart grid"
power transmission network in Okinawa and Hawaii, the Japanese
Economy, Trade and Industry Ministry said here.
Following the signing of a memorandum of cooperation the
same day, a project-finding mission consisting of government
officials and experts of both countries is expected to be sent
in July or later to the Japanese south-western prefecture of
Okinawa as well as to Hawaii.
Okinawa and Hawaii are common in that the islands largely
depend on fossil fuels, especially oil, and are eager to
introduce renewable energy sources such as solar and wind
power, according to a METI official. Their climate conditions
are also similar.
"We hope to create a clean energy model at remote islands
and promote it to the world," the official said on Thursday.
A smart grid, which uses information technology, is a
power transmission and distribution network that aims to
achieve stability of electricity supplied by fluctuating
The two countries have been discussing on how to
cooperate in the area of developing clean energy technologies
under a joint task force.
The task force was set up in line with an agreement
reached in November between then Japanese Prime Minister Yukio
Hatoyama and US President Barack Obama.
The signing ceremony was attended by Japanese Economy,
Trade and Industry Minister Masayuki Naoshima, US Ambassador
to Japan John Roos, Okinawa Gov Hirokazu Nakaima and Hawaii
Gov Linda Lingle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre