Japanese man switched at birth would `roll back clock’
Tokyo: A 60-year-old Japanese man switched at birth says he would like to "roll back the clock", days after winning a lawsuit against the hospital which mistakenly cast him into a life of poverty.
The man told a packed Tokyo press conference late yesterday that he was shell-shocked when he learned the truth, saying his life would have been starkly different.
"I`ve wondered `how on earth could this happen`? I couldn`t believe it. To be honest, I didn`t want to accept it," he told Japanese media late yesterday. The man was not identified.
"I might have had a different life. I want (the hospital) to roll back the clock to the day I was born."
This week, a Tokyo district court ordered the hospital to pay USD 374,000 in damages over its 1953 blunder which saw the man switched with another baby boy who was delivered just 13 minutes later.
It is not clear if the hospital, which has not commented on the bizarre case, will appeal.
The man, an unmarried truck driver, would have grown up as the eldest of four brothers in a wealthy family where siblings enjoyed a lavish lifestyle including private tutors.
Instead, he was raised on welfare by his non-biological mother who also supported older siblings after her husband passed away.
The family had few frills in their one-room apartment except for a radio, according to the man who studied at night school while working in a factory.
"It was like she was born to experience hardship," the man said of the woman he knew as his mother.
The man has been helping take care of his non-biological brothers, one of whom suffered a stroke.
The decades-old mistake was uncovered when the wealthy family`s three younger brothers had DNA testing done on their oldest sibling - who looked nothing like them - after their parents died.
They checked hospital records and confirmed the identity of their biological eldest brother last year, whom the men have since met.
The four are now working on building a relationship to make up for lost time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees