Japanese man switched at birth would `roll back clock’
Tokyo: A 60-year-old Japanese man switched at birth says he would like to "roll back the clock", days after winning a lawsuit against the hospital which mistakenly cast him into a life of poverty.
The man told a packed Tokyo press conference late yesterday that he was shell-shocked when he learned the truth, saying his life would have been starkly different.
"I`ve wondered `how on earth could this happen`? I couldn`t believe it. To be honest, I didn`t want to accept it," he told Japanese media late yesterday. The man was not identified.
"I might have had a different life. I want (the hospital) to roll back the clock to the day I was born."
This week, a Tokyo district court ordered the hospital to pay USD 374,000 in damages over its 1953 blunder which saw the man switched with another baby boy who was delivered just 13 minutes later.
It is not clear if the hospital, which has not commented on the bizarre case, will appeal.
The man, an unmarried truck driver, would have grown up as the eldest of four brothers in a wealthy family where siblings enjoyed a lavish lifestyle including private tutors.
Instead, he was raised on welfare by his non-biological mother who also supported older siblings after her husband passed away.
The family had few frills in their one-room apartment except for a radio, according to the man who studied at night school while working in a factory.
"It was like she was born to experience hardship," the man said of the woman he knew as his mother.
The man has been helping take care of his non-biological brothers, one of whom suffered a stroke.
The decades-old mistake was uncovered when the wealthy family`s three younger brothers had DNA testing done on their oldest sibling - who looked nothing like them - after their parents died.
They checked hospital records and confirmed the identity of their biological eldest brother last year, whom the men have since met.
The four are now working on building a relationship to make up for lost time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried