Japanese PM grilled at Diet over funding scandals
Tokyo: Japanese Prime Minister Yukio
Hatoyama faced fierce grilling Tuesday by opposition lawmakers
over funds scandals involving him and his ruling party`s no.
2, Ichiro Ozawa, during parliamentary deliberations.
In a plenary session at the House of Representatives,
Tadamori Oshima, secretary general of the main opposition
Liberal Democratic Party, demanded that Ozawa of the
Democratic Party of Japan appear at the Diet to provide an
account on his funding scandal that led to the arrests of
three people close to him.
Oshima also said, "The DPJ`s ability to cleanse itself is
being questioned," arguing that the governing party has the
responsibility to clarify the scandals.
But Hatoyama responded that the case concerning Ozawa is
under investigation by prosecutors and the task of clarifying
the affair should be left in the hands of investigative
He also reiterated that he would not intervene into
prosecutors` investigations, saying, "I have no intention of
exercising my command rights" as head of the administrative
Hatoyama made the remarks in response to a question by
Oshima, in which he asked what exactly Hatoyama`s recent
remarks, which were widely construed as recommending that
Ozawa fight against the prosecutors to clear his name,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'