Japanese PM pays $6.6 mn as gift tax after funding row
Tokyo: As his approval rating dipped further
following a major political funding scandal, Japanese Prime
Minister Yukio Hatoyama on Sunday said he has paid gift tax of
around 600 million yen (USD 6.60 million) for 1.26 billion yen
he received from his mother.
"I declared the tax (600 million yen) instead of revising
the tax return," Hatoyama told reporters prior to his
departure for India.
Hatoyama sent a tax return on Friday to a tax office in
Muroran, Hokkaido, Kyodo news agency quoted people close to
the Prime Minister as saying.
Hatoyama, 62, is a House of Representatives member for a
district in Hokkaido. Hatoyama acted following the indictment
on Thursday of two of his former state-paid secretaries for
falsifying fund reports over a political funds scandal
involving 1.26 billion yen provided by his rich mother.
The Prime Minister`s mother, Yasuko Hatoyama, realising
that her son`s aides were facing difficulties in raising
political funds, allegedly provided 15 million yen per month
over the seven years through last year, totaling around 1.26
billion yen. Some of the money is believed to have been logged
as donations from fictitious donors, the report said.
Yasuko Hatoyama is a billionaire who inherited a fortune
from her father, who founded Japan?s top tire maker
The Prime Minister, who was exempted from indictment over
the case, denied having any knowledge of the large sum of
money that had been provided by his mother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!