Japanese women`s life expectancy world`s longest for 25th year
Tokyo: Japanese women had the longest life expectancy in the world for the 25th straight year in 2009, with an average life span of 86.44 years, a Health Ministry report has shown.
Japanese men, along with their female compatriots, saw their average life expectancy register a record high for the fourth consecutive year at 79.59 years, but they fell to fifth
in the world from fourth in 2008, according to the report.
The latest data showed that average life spans increased from 2008 by 0.39 year for Japanese women and 0.30 year for Japanese men.
The Health, Labour and Welfare Ministry attributed the extension of life spans to improved treatment of the three major causes of death among Japanese -- cancer, cardiac disorders and strokes -- as well as pneumonia.
"If an influenza epidemic does not break out, the life expectancy (of Japanese people) is likely to extend further," a Ministry official said.
In the women`s list, Hong Kong came second at 86.1 years, followed by France at 84.5 years. Qatar topped the men`s list at 81.0 years, followed by Hong Kong at 79.8 years,
and Iceland and Switzerland at 79.7 years.
The gap in average life expectancy between Japanese men and women widened 0.09 year from 2008 to 6.85 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!