Japan`s emperor enters hospital for heart surgery
Tokyo: Japanese Emperor Akihito has entered the hospital for scheduled heart bypass surgery.
An official from the Imperial Household Agency said on Friday that a medical team will operate on the 78-year-old monarch on Saturday at University of Tokyo Hospital.
The operation was scheduled after tests last weekend showed that Akihito`s heart condition had worsened compared to a year ago.
The palace said the surgery will help the emperor enjoy a relatively active life.
Akihito has had various health problems in recent years, including pneumonia and prostate cancer. He has cut back on public duties but still appears regularly at events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA