Japan’s opposition party picks new leader
Tokyo: Japan`s main opposition Liberal Democratic Party chose former finance minister Sadakazu Tanigaki as its new leader on Monday, the choice apparently showing its desire to play it safe for the sake of party unity as it works on renewal.
Tanigaki, 64, was elected the 24th LDP president by beating his two younger contenders -- former senior vice justice minister Taro Kono and former parliamentary vice foreign minister Yasutoshi Nishimura, both 46.
"I have felt people`s avid expectations. I would like to live up to those expectations," Tanigaki told reporters prior to his election win, expressing his determination to revitalise the party.
Succeeding the top party post from Taro Aso, under whose leadership the LDP suffered a drubbing in last month`s national election, the veteran lawmaker faces the daunting task of reviving a party that has become an opposition force for only the second time in its 54-year history.
In today`s vote, Tanigaki, a party heavyweight whose past portfolio also includes minister of transport and chairman of the LDP Policy Research Council, captured 300 of the 498 valid ballots cast by party Diet members and local chapters in the nation`s 47 prefectures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India