Japan`s ruling party heads to polls as underdog
Tokyo: Japan`s ruling Conservative Party, battered by a laggard economy and voter desire for change after more than half a century of virtual one-party rule, was expected to suffer an overwhelming defeat tomorrow in hotly contested elections.
The Liberal Democratic Party, which has governed Japan
for all but 11 months since 1955, went into the elections with
all major polls projecting they would lose control of the
lower House of Parliament.
That would likely mean the fall of Prime Minister Taro
Aso and his Cabinet and the creation of a new government
headed by centrist Democratic Party of Japan chief Yukio
Hatoyama -- who would become the first prime minister not
backed by the LDP since 1994.
The vote is widely seen as a barometer of two related
issues -- voter frustrations over the ailing economy, which is
in one of its worst slumps since World War II, and a loss of
confidence in the Liberal Democrats` ability to tackle tough
problems such as the rising national debt and rapidly ageing
But even with severe challenges pressing the nation,
many analysts said the vote may not be about the issues so
much as voters` general desire for something new after nearly
54 years under the Liberal Democrats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail