Jemima ‘wants Assange to confront rape allegations`
London: One of the Julian Assange’s most prominent supporters, Jemima Khan, has said she would like to see the WikiLeaks founder confront the rape allegations made against him by two Swedish women.
Khan, the daughter of the billionaire Sir James Goldsmith and former wife of the cricketer Imran Khan, was among those who put up a total of GBP 240,000 as bail for Assange.
Assange’s supporters risk losing their money after he made an asylum bid at the Ecuador embassy to avoid extradition to Sweden.
Some of Assange’s supporters have likened him to Chinese dissidents and praised his attempt to claim political asylum from Ecuador.
Khan, however, said his alleged victims deserved justice too and that he should respond to the allegations, The Telegraph reports.
“For the record, in response to those asking about Assange and bail money, I personally would like to see Assange confront the rape allegations in Sweden and the two women at the centre have a right to a response,” Khan tweeted.
She also highlighted Assange’s concerns that because his whistle-blowing website published thousands of sensitive US diplomatic cables and military files, he could be further extradited to America.
“But there is no doubt that Assange has a real fear of being extradited to the US nor that the US govt is out to get WikiLeaks,” Khan wrote.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs