‘Jesus Christ may have been gay’
Washington: A controversial Fox News host has sparked anger for saying that there was ‘some indication’ that ‘Jesus may have been gay’.
Don Imus made the comment on his show earlier this week during a telephone interview with political analyst Kirsten Powers.
According to the Pink News website, Imus referred to a third-century religious text known as the ‘Gospel of Judas Iscariot’ and claimed it provided evidence that Jesus was a homosexual.
He said that ‘there were hundreds of gospels written, only four made it into the [Bible]. There was the Gospel of Thomas, Mary had a gospel, they all had a gospel. But Judas — there’s some indication there that Jesus may have been gay.”
Powers went on to attack Imus’s claims as ‘ridiculous’, the Independent reports.
The incident is not the first time Imus has been involved in controversy.
In 2007, the host came under fire after referring to the Rutgers University women`s basketball team, which at the time was comprised of eight African-American and two white players, as ‘nappy-headed hoes’.
Imus subsequently apologised for his statement after first defending it as ‘some idiot comment meant to be amusing’.
The Gospel of Judas, which was written by Gnostics, contradicts the Bible in a number of ways.
Crucially it contains the claim, contrary to the canonical gospels, that Judas` betrayal was done in obedience to instructions given to him by Christ, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter