Jesus` crucifixion reality or illustration?
Washington: The episode of Jesus` crucifixion is based more on traditions of the Christian church and artistic illustrations than antique texts, says a Swedish researcher.
"The problem is that descriptions of crucifixions are remarkably absent in the antique literature," Gunnar Samuelsson, of the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, who recently finished his doctoral thesis on the topic, said.
He added: "The sources where you would expect to find support for the established understanding of the event really don`t say anything."
The 400-page thesis offers the reader samples of antiquity`s most terrifying texts and gives examples of mankind`s amazing resourcefulness in terms of mind-boggling cruelty against fellow human beings.
Samuelsson has studied the available ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew/Aramaic literature all the way from Homer to the first century AD.
While the texts indicate a vast arsenal of suspension punishments, they do not say much about the kind of punishment the Christian tradition claims Jesus was forced to endure.
The thesis clearly shows that although the studied texts are full of references to suspension of objects and the equipment used to this end, no reference is made to ``crosses`` or ``crucifixion``.
"Consequently, the contemporary understanding of crucifixion as a punishment is severely challenged. And what`s even more challenging is that the same can be concluded about the accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus. The New Testament doesn`t say as much as we`d like to believe," said Samuelsson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!