Jewish group slams `solidarity` with Gaddafi
Caracas: Muammar Gaddafi’s allies in Latin America should follow Peru`s example and suspend diplomatic relations with the North African nation`s regime, the representative of a leading Jewish organisation said on Friday.
Sergio Widder, the Latin American representative of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, strongly criticised the governments of Nicaragua, Cuba and Venezuela for failing to condemn Gaddafi`s violent crackdown on a popular uprising.
"Solidarity with a dictator who has been in power for more than four decades and is massacring his own people is shameful and criminal," Widder said in a statement. "We welcome the decision by Peru`s President, Alan Garcia, to break off relations with the Libyan regime."
"It`s an offense for the victims of Latin American dictatorships," Widder added.
Peru`s government announced this week that it was suspending diplomatic relations with Libya to protest the violence unleashed by Gaddafi.
Peru`s government announced in a statement that it would also ask the UN Security Council to establish an exclusion zone in Libyan airspace "to prevent the use of that country`s warplanes against (its) population”.
Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega offered support for Gaddafi, saying he had telephoned to express solidarity. Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro said the unrest may be a pretext for an invasion of Libya by members of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation — a step that NATO has ruled out.
Venezuela`s Hugo Chavez has neither condemned nor defended Gaddafi`s crackdown, but his failure to take a stand has prompted strong criticism from his political opponents at home.
In a Twitter message on Thursday, Chavez said: "Viva Libya and its independence! Gaddafi is facing a civil war."
It was the first time that Chavez has publicly referred to the violence in Libya.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!